Improved safety required following third pond death
Posted: November 9, 2015
Posted in: Public Liability
A teenager from Pembroke is the third person to die in a pond in Pembrokeshire this year. Robert Mansfield had been out with his friends celebrating his 18th birthday when he drowned in the pond in July. His aunt, Sue Mansfield, has created a petition calling for severe safety changes to be made to Mill Pond to prevent further deaths.
It is currently unclear how Robert died in the pond, but an inquest into his death is due to be held on 26 November. His aunt said: “He really was a special boy. As a family, it’s brought us closer together but it’s also been so emotional… everybody is trying to work their own way, in their own grief, and it has been really, really hard.”
Town Council rejected plans for safety netting
Robert’s death follows two other deaths in the pond this year – 52-year-old Wayne Anthony Young and 57-year-old John Lyall. Both men drowned accidentally. Ms Manfield has started her petition after Pembroke Town Council rejected plans for safety netting to be erected at the pond, arguing that steps like this would be impractical. Town councillor Keith Nicholas said, despite this, more lifebelts would be added around the pond, with improvement work taking up to six weeks. He added that the council is in talks about installing signage around the water with danger warnings.
« Road changes made following deaths
Only 88% being admitted in 4-hour A&E target »