£290,000 awarded to widow of electrician exposed to Asbestos for 42 years
Posted: April 21, 2016
Posted in: Asbestos Exposure Employer Negligence Mesothelioma
The widow of an electrician, who died after a two year battle against the asbestos-related disease, mesothelioma, has been awarded £290,000 in compensation by his ex-employer. The widow, who has opted to remain anonymous, described how shocked her husband was on learning the news. She said: “My husband had no idea that his job could lead to him being so ill. He was never warned about the dangers until the damage had already been done”. The husband had worked for Western Power Distribution, now EDF, for 42 years during which time he would have been exposed to asbestos dust on a regular basis. He was never informed about the dangers he was facing until 1983 and, even then, he was expected to carry out his work without the protection of adequate equipment.
Prolonged exposure to asbestos dust affects the linings of the lungs, causing a cancer that is incurable. When the diagnosis was given, the electrician approached his union who put him in touch with their solicitors. His union stated that many of their members had been exposed to asbestos dust and that they were paying for their lives years later. They stressed that they would continue to fight for compensation for those affected and their families.
The electrician’s solicitor stated: “His suffering and death, and the incalculable loss to his wife and family, were entirely preventable had his employers not failed in their duty of care”. The widow was subsequently awarded the sum of £290,000 in an out of court settlement.
« Top London hotel compensates injured staff member
Vibration White Finger victim wins £42K in compensation »