Pensioner’s poor care causes death
Posted: December 16, 2015
Posted in: Medical Negligence Wrongful & Accidental Death
The family of a pensioner who died after being admitted to a north Wales hospital with an infected wound announced that something went “drastically wrong” with his care. 81-year-old Alan Walker from Flintshire died at Wrexham Maelor Hospital in January 2014 after being admitted to the hospital with a skin infection. Mr Walker had been recovering from a cancer operation when the infection developed. In a statement released by Mr Walker’s widow, Irene, doctors said that food had entered his blood stream, which then caused a heart attack.
It was heard that Mr Walker had been recovering from a cancer operation in hospital and was expecting to be released. However, on 22 January his family was called in when his condition began to deteriorate, following issues with a nasal gastric tube. A post-mortem examination found that traces of food from a feeding tube had managed to enter an intravenous line. His death would have been caused by the toxic shock.
Mr Walker’s granddaughter, Sarah Hallam, said in the hearing that she questioned one of the doctors, Dr Drew, at the time of her grandfather’s death about whether medical negligence was to blame. Ms Hallam said that Dr Drew answered, “sadly yes or unfortunately yes”.
A number of nurses and doctors are currently under investigation.
The inquest continues.
If you have been affected by medical negligence, and are looking to claim compensation, please contact us.
« Fatal heat illness not recognised
MoD ‘breaking its own safety rules’ »