Asbestos worker dies on last day of work at site
Posted: August 6, 2013
Posted in: Asbestos Exposure School Accidents Workplace Injuries Wrongful & Accidental Death
James Paul (26) from Abertillery, Blaenau Gwent, died on his last day of work at a school where he had been removing asbestos, his family said. He was electrocuted when working in a suspended ceiling space at Cwmcarn High School on the 19th of July. It is believed that Mr Paul suffered cardiac arrest due to the electrocution, Gwent Coroner David Bowen heard.
Mr Paul was due to be married next year to his fiancé Emily Rogers (20), together with whom he had a toddler son, Kingsley. A statement conveyed the true devastation of his family, as he was due to start a new job the very next day.
His mother, Sharon Paul, said: “The whole family is devastated and cannot believe that he has been taken from us. The house will not be the same without him as he was a very vocal person with a wicked sense of humour and you certainly knew that he was around.”
£1m to remove asbestos
James Paul was part of a team that had been removing asbestos from Cwmcarn High School following its closure concerning safety fears in October 2010. The 900-pupil school was forced to close after asbestos was detected in the ceiling space, but has since been proven safe by a subsequent HSE report.
The investigation into Mr Paul’s death was adjourned in July by Mr Bowen and is due to recommence on the 3rd of October. Caerphilly council has paid £1m to the school and surrounding buildings in order for the asbestos to be removed.
« Safer roads requested for children in Wales
RNLI open day saves two groups of people »