Family call for inquiry of hospitals under a south Wales health board
Posted: March 12, 2014
Posted in: Medical Negligence
The family of a pensioner who died after treatment at Singleton and Morriston hospitals in Swansea have requested that a full care review be carried out of all the hospitals under the control of the health board. 64-year-old Margaret Hoskins was treated in two hospitals under the Abertawe Bro Morgannwg University Health Board (ABMUHB), which admitted that some aspects of her care had not up to the health board’s standards.
Mrs Hoskins’ son-in-law, Graham Lucas, has demanded that a full care review be carried out across all of the health board’s hospitals. He had a meeting with health board officials at the beginning of last week, but they declined his request for an inquiry. They said that two external reviews are currently taking place, inspecting the care provided by the Princess of Wales in Bridgend and at Neath Port Talbot hospital.
“They just failed”
Mr Lucas argued that the care provided by nurses at the hospitals was not adequate, with some failing to administer Mrs Hoskins’ medication properly. He said that some of the nurses would simply leave Mrs Hoskins’ medication at the side of her bed, even though she refused to take it.
Mr Lucas said: “In our eyes and in the health board’s eyes the staff should’ve been giving it to her and supervising her, they knew it was a problem but they just failed to act upon it.”
A Welsh government spokesperson said that Mr Lucas is due to meet the chief nursing officer next month to fully discuss his concerns. A letter from the ABMUHB apologised for their inadequate care.
« Museum boss awarded £500,000
Family blames doctors for death »