Patient died after care home scalding
Posted: September 28, 2014
Posted in: Arm Injury Leg Injuries Medical Negligence Wrongful & Accidental Death
A patient at a care home in North East Wales died in 2012 after being lowered into a scalding bath. 88-year-old Beatrice Morgan, a former nurse herself, had been staying at the Greencroft Residential Home when the accident happened. She suffered severe burns to 18% of her body at the care home in Deeside. She died shortly after.
It was heard at Flintshire Magistrates’ Court that Mrs Morgan suffered burn injuries to her lower legs, upper body and left arm after being lowered into the scalding hot bath by care staff. It was discovered that the temperature of the water had not been tested and was found to be 50.7C, with the maximum safe level being 44C. The court heard that there were no safety measures in place and no risk assessment had been carried out.
“Could not be bothered”
Greencroft Care Ltd was fined £5,000 for breaching health and safety regulations. The district judge, Judge Gwyn Jones, said that standards at the care home had fallen far below the basic standards of care. She said: “either did not care for the safety of its residents or it could not be bothered to bring the standards of the home to a minimum standard which would have prevented the potential risks.”
One of Miss Morgan’s nieces, Ann Elliot, said that she hopes other care homes will reassess their standards following this horrific incident.
« Surfer suffers serious brain injury
Expectant mother sent home “in agony” »