Unsafe path kills snowdon walker
Posted: July 31, 2014
Posted in: Public Place Accidents Wrongful & Accidental Death
An inquest into the death of a man who after falling 600ft (180m), died on Mount Snowdon earlier this year, has found the unsafe path to be the problem. A coroner wants to significantly improve the mountain’s public pathways that continue to leave “people in peril”.
21-year-old Dylan Rattray had been climbing Snowdon on the 18th of April when the accident happened. It was heard that he fell around 600ft after the path he had been following started to fade. Having suffered multiple injuries after the fall, the deputy coroner, Nicola Jones, said that he would most likely have died immediately. Mr Rattray’s death was ruled an accident.
Believed to be on a well-established path
Mr Rattray, from Llanfihangel-y-Creuddyn, Ceredigion, had been walking with his friend Jack Bonner when the accident happened. It was heard at the Caernarfon inquest that neither of the men were “foolhardy young men”. Having inspected the pathways, Ms Jones said that the paths selected by the men are, at first, “viable and established” but “quickly peter out and leave people in peril”. Mr Bonner emphasised at the inquest that they both thought they were walking along a well-established path.
As of yet, nothing has been done to improve the safety of the path. However, Llanberis mountain rescue team chairman John Grisdale has discussed the dangers of the paths with the authority.
« Football club admits failures following death
Ambulance stuck in pothole with patient for four hours »