Care home scalding death ‘accidental’
Posted: December 18, 2014
Posted in: Medical Negligence Wrongful & Accidental Death
The death of 88-year-old Beatrice Morgan, who suffered burns to 18% of her body because of a scalding bath, has been recorded as accidental. A care assistant at the nursing home had been running the bath while two other carers prepared Mrs Morgan. Nicky Heaps, who had been working at nursing homes for around ten years before moving to work at Greencroft, told the hearing that she had not been provided with any formal training at the nursing home.
It was heard that she had recorded the temperature reading of 38 degrees centigrade on the log sheet, but had not been told to leave the thermometer in the bath before taking the reading. As Mrs Morgan was lowered into the bath by a hoist, she screamed in pain. She was immediately removed and treated by a nurse.
“It was the most horrible thing”
Ms Heaps said that the only training she had received at the nursing home was shadowing other care workers. North Wales East and Central coroner John Gittins recorded the death as accidental as a result. Greencroft Care Ltd was also fined for health and safety breaches.
Ms Heaps said she was unable to remember anything after the incident. She said: “I was in shock…even now. It was the most horrible thing”. Ms Heaps no longer works in nursing care and Greencroft Ltd has recently gone into liquidation.
« Sky swing accident at Cardiff winterwonderland
Injured man pushed from train »