Holidaymakers win compensation
Posted: March 29, 2015
Posted in: Accidents and Sickness Abroad Food Poisoning
Several families from the UK have been awarded compensation after their trips to a luxury Egyptian resort were ruined as a result of a gastric illness outbreak. A total of 73 holidaymakers were represented at Birmingham County Court and collectively received over £350,000 from their tour operator. The incident happened in 2012 when the families were staying in the four-star ‘Tropicana Sea Splash Resort’ in Sharm El-Sheikh, which has now been renamed ‘the Sea Beach Resort & Aqua Park’.
The individual holidaymakers made several complaints about the resort’s food hygiene, which subsequently caused the illness outbreak. It was heard in court that food was frequently served undercooked, cross contamination of cooked and raw meats was witnessed, and food was often reused from previous meals. Some holidaymakers also complained that they witnessed raw sewage coming up through the drains near to the children’s swimming pool.
“we can now move forward”
The resort’s guests suffered severe sickness and diarrhoea as a result of the poisoning, with some guests even requiring medical attention. A number of the guests had to receive treatment for serious infections, including Salmonella poisoning and Cryptosporidium.
One of the guests, Louise, said: “We are pleased and relieved that with the help of our legal team that we have now received a settlement and justice for our holiday which was ruined whilst staying at the Tropicana Sea Splash Resort. We can now move forward from this and put the ordeal behind us.”
« Inquest into 20-year-old death
Immediate safety changes to road after bus hits pedestrian »